Saturday, November 13, 2010

Oh How I Long for the Days of Holiday Dinners

I grew up in the 1960's, when family holiday dinners were A BIG THING.

Family members actually dressed up for these events (an odd concept in today's casual society). The men wore long-sleeved white shirts with their good cuff links and ties. The women wore dresses, red lipstick,restrictive undergarments and odd remnants of dead animals 'round their shoulders, .

Oh yes. This was back in The Olden Days.



Also known as The Time Before Seat Belts and Drink Driving Laws (both of which, by the way, are splendid ideas).



Back then, there was a whole lotta drinking going on during a holiday party. Two cocktails before dinner, champagne and wine with dinner, and an after-dinner drink. Or two (Drambuie, Cherry Herring, B&B, ugh, syrupy sweet).

A few songs were sung by the older generation. Tunes I forgot for the most part. That older generation, oh my, they could all sing and harmonize. I'd pretend to hide as much as possible. But really, I stayed nearby to take it all in.

Good Lord -- it was fun. Laughing so hard my belly hurt even into the next day.

I believe in Heaven, and I hope that I live a life that allows me just a few moments of one grand family party.

No comments:

Post a Comment