Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pretty Vintage Designs

Loops of Linen & A Monogram

I'm not sure how to title this on my inventory list. There are swirling bits of linen ("cutwork") joined with intricate embroidery. Plus, don't cha know? a monogram built right into the design...


"Isn't this the height of nonchalance?"
----- Barbara Streisand in "Funny Girl"





Very little floral work. I like it. In fact, this cloth is gracing my table as I type up this post. I imagine the original owner selecting a design that would allow her centerpiece to set right there and not conflict with the graceful design.

I have a cell phone and a Post It pad near the center of this cloth right now. Hmm. That is just not at all classy.

I can hear my father saying, "You can take the girl out of Brooklyn, but you can't take Brooklyn out of the girl."

Forgetaboutit.




Pineapples

In my quest to find as much embroidery as possible, I came across this stunning piece. This is a 44" square piece with a medium dark coffee thread on an off-white linen. Not much linen here at all. Rather than merely embroider the outline of each flower and leaf, the talented woman/women that worked on this piece created dynamic shading through the use of various stitching techniques. I am in awe. I'm still afraid to put any food or beverage on this piece out of respect for the artists.

I was surprised at the weight of this piece. Surely this cloth was created by an embroidery master.

I also find that I pet this cloth as I walk by it. I believe that ownership of a Madeira tablecloth is merely that of a guardian. I hold this for future generations. Every time I touch or stroke this piece, it is pleasure to my and applause to the original artists. I find that possessing a tablecloth of this beauty requires not only my visual approval, but my tactile involvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment